Chemical Education: Development of context-rich curriculum; Use of collaborative learning strategies in large lectures; Communication of chemistry
Associate Teaching Professor in Chemistry and Biochemistry
Office: Urey Hall 2262
McMaster University, Canada
McMaster University, Canada
Lecturer/Assoc. Research Scientist,
Awards and Academic Honors
RCI Wall of Achievement, 7th Inductee (1881-present)
UCSD Academic Senate Distinguished Teaching Award
UCSD Panhellenic Outstanding Professor Award
UCSD Office of Academic Support and Instructional Services (OASIS) Faculty Appreciation Award
Dow Chemical Award for Excellence in Teaching
Ontario Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology
McMaster University Manske-MacLean Bursary in Chemistry
McMaster University Science Leadership Scholarship
National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Postgraduate Scholarship
McMaster University Centennial Scholarship
Our efforts in chemical education are underscored by a desire to develop the capacity and connections of K-21 (*includes K-12, post-secondary, and graduate) students, educators, and education systems, and to expand science literacy and communication through programs and pedagogical methods that provide all learners with meaningful experiences in the chemical sciences.
Primary Research Area
Atmospheric and Environmental
- S. Brydges, R. Pomeroy, M. Ruppell (*Contributing Editors) and K. Prather (*Contributing Author) "Do Clouds Need Passports?", Science's Science in the Classroom: A collection of annotated research papers and accompanying teaching materials, 2014, See website.
- S. Brydges, B. Gildea, J. Grealis, H. Müller-Bunz, M. J. Stradiotto, M. Casey, M. J. McGlinchey "Organic and organometallic derivatives of pentaphenylbenzene, C6Ph5X: correlation of peripheral phenyl ring orientations with the steric bulk of "X"", Can. J. Chem., 2013, Vol. 91, Issue 11, 1098-1111.
- S. Brydges, L. Chilukuri, G. Cook, M. Feeley, M. Herbst, E. Tour, and L. Van Den Einde "Building a Faculty Learning Community at a Research University: Interdisciplinary Connections and Competencies in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning", Currents in Teaching and Learning, 2013, Vol. 5, Issue 1-2, 17-35.
- S. Brydges, N. Reginato, L. P. Cuffe, C. M. Seward, M. J. McGlinchey "High and Low Barriers to Haptotropic Shifts across Polycyclic Surfaces: The Relevance of Aromatic Character During the Migration Process", Comptes Rendus Chimie, 2005, Vol. 8, 1497-1505.
- H. K. Gupta, N. Reginato, N., F. O. Ogini, S. Brydges, M. J. McGlinchey "SiCl4-ethanol as a trimerization agent for organometallics: convenient syntheses of the symmetrically-substituted arenes 1,3,5-C6H3R3 where R = (C5H4)Mn(CO)3 and (C5H4)Fe(C5H5)", Can. J. Chem, 2002, Vol. 80, 1546-1554.
- S. Brydges and M. J. McGlinchey "Conformations and Threshold Rotational Mechanisms of C5Ar5 and C5Ar4X Molecular Propellers: A Structural Correlation and Computational Study", J. Org. Chem., 2002, Vol. 67, 7688-7698.
- S. Brydges, L. E. Harrington and M. J. McGlinchey "Sterically hindered organometallics: Multi-n-rotor (n= 5,6 and 7) molecular propellers and the search for correlated rotations", Coord. Chem. Rev., invited article, 2002, Vol. 233-234, 75-105.
- H. K. Gupta, S. Brydges, and M. J. McGlinchey "Diels-Alder Reactions of 3-Ferrocenyl-2,4,5-Triphenylcyclopentadienone with Diphenylacetylene and 1,2,3-Triphenylcyclopropene: Syntheses, Structures and Molecular Dynamics of the Sterically Crowded Systems C6Ph5Fc, C7Ph6FcH and [C7Ph6FcH][SbCl6]", Organometallics, 1999, Vol. 18, 115-122.
- S. Brydges "Innovation in Graduate Education: A Graduate Student’s Perspective", Can. Chem. News, 1998, Vol. 50, Issue 5, 27-
- S. Brydges, H. K. Gupta, D. L. Pole, L. C. F. Chao, J. F. Britten, and M. J. McGlinchey "The Structure of a Seven-Bladed Propeller: C7PH7+ is Not Planar", Eur. J. Chem., 1998, Vol. 4, 1201-1205.
- S. S. Rigby, M. Stradiotto, S. Brydges, D. L. Pole, S. Top, A. D. Bain and M. J. McGlinchey "The Diels-Alder Dimerization of Cyclopenta[l]phenanthrene (Dibenz[e,g]indene) with Isodibenzindene: A Computational, NMR Spectroscopic, and X-Ray Crystallographic Study", J. Org. Chem., 1998, Vol. 63, 3735-3740.