Bioorganic chemistry, Supramolecular Chemistry, Bionanotechnology, Materials, Synthesis
Northwestern University, IL
University of Adelaide, Australia
The Scripps Research Institute
Awards and Academic Honors
NIH Director's Transformative Research Award
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow
UCSD Panhellenic Outstanding Professor Award
Royal Society of Chemistry Emerging Investigator
NIH Director's New Innovator Award
Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers
Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Award
ACS Young Investigator Award - Division of Inorganic Chemistry
Dow Chemical Company Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow
The ability to control the assembly and destruction of nanoscale materials in response to specific biomolecular stimuli is expected to have a significant impact in targeted drug delivery and advanced sensor design. Our program takes a multidisciplinary approach to the development of novel, stimuli responsive supramolecular and nanoscale materials by combining synthetic organic and inorganic chemistry with biological molecules and polymers.
Primary Research Area
Participant as a mentor in the UCSD MARC program (NIH – Minority Access to Research Careers).
Participant as a mentor in the UCSD AGEP program (NSF – Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate).
Participant in graduate school recruitment efforts at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Undergraduates as a poster judge.
Mentor in the Summer Research Scholars Program – Placing promising young high school students in research laboratories for summer internships
- James CR, Rush AM, Insley T, Vuković L, Adamiak L, Král P, Gianneschi NC, "Poly(oligonucleotide).", J Am Chem Soc, 2014, Vol. 136, Issue 32, 11216-9
- Proetto MT, Rush AM, Chien MP, Abellan Baeza P, Patterson JP, Thompson MP, Olson NH, Moore CE, Rheingold AL, Andolina C, Millstone J, Howell SB, Browning ND, Evans JE, Gianneschi NC, "Dynamics of soft nanomaterials captured by transmission electron microscopy in liquid water.", J Am Chem Soc, 2014, Vol. 136, Issue 4, 1162-5
- Rush AM, Nelles DA, Blum AP, Barnhill SA, Tatro ET, Yeo GW, Gianneschi NC, "Intracellular mRNA regulation with self-assembled locked nucleic acid polymer nanoparticles.", J Am Chem Soc, 2014, Vol. 136, Issue 21, 7615-8
- Chien MP, Carlini AS, Hu D, Barback CV, Rush AM, Hall DJ, Orr G, Gianneschi NC, "Enzyme-directed assembly of nanoparticles in tumors monitored by in vivo whole animal imaging and ex vivo super-resolution fluorescence imaging.", J Am Chem Soc, 2013, Vol. 135, Issue 50, 18710-3
- Chien MP, Thompson MP, Barback CV, Ku TH, Hall DJ, Gianneschi NC, "Enzyme-directed assembly of a nanoparticle probe in tumor tissue.", Adv Mater, 2013, Vol. 25, Issue 26, 3599-604
- Chien MP, Thompson MP, Lin EC, Gianneschi NC, "Fluorogenic Enzyme-Responsive Micellar Nanoparticles.", Chem Sci, 2012, Vol. 3, Issue 9, 2690-2694
- Ku TH, Chien MP, Thompson MP, Sinkovits RS, Olson NH, Baker TS, Gianneschi NC, "Controlling and switching the morphology of micellar nanoparticles with enzymes.", J Am Chem Soc, 2011, Vol. 133, Issue 22, 8392-5
- Chien MP, Rush AM, Thompson MP, Gianneschi NC, "Programmable shape-shifting micelles.", Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 2010, Vol. 49, Issue 30, 5076-80