Bioorganic chemistry, Supramolecular Chemistry, Bionanotechnology, Materials, Synthesis
Northwestern University, IL
University of Adelaide, Australia
The Scripps Research Institute
Awards and Academic Honors
NIH Director's Transformative Research Award
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow
UCSD Panhellenic Outstanding Professor Award
Royal Society of Chemistry Emerging Investigator
NIH Director's New Innovator Award
Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers
Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Award
ACS Young Investigator Award - Division of Inorganic Chemistry
Dow Chemical Company Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow
The ability to control the assembly and destruction of nanoscale materials in response to specific biomolecular stimuli is expected to have a significant impact in targeted drug delivery and advanced sensor design. Our program takes a multidisciplinary approach to the development of novel, stimuli responsive supramolecular and nanoscale materials by combining synthetic organic and inorganic chemistry with biological molecules and polymers.
Primary Research Area
Participant as a mentor in the UCSD MARC program (NIH – Minority Access to Research Careers).
Participant as a mentor in the UCSD AGEP program (NSF – Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate).
Participant in graduate school recruitment efforts at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Undergraduates as a poster judge.
Mentor in the Summer Research Scholars Program – Placing promising young high school students in research laboratories for summer internships
- Proetto MT, Rush AM, Chien MP, Abellan Baeza P, Patterson JP, Thompson MP, Olson NH, Moore CE, Rheingold AL, Andolina C, Millstone J, Howell SB, Browning ND, Evans JE, Gianneschi NC, "Dynamics of soft nanomaterials captured by transmission electron microscopy in liquid water.", J Am Chem Soc, 2014, Vol. 136, Issue 4, 1162-5
- Chien MP, Thompson MP, Barback CV, Ku TH, Hall DJ, Gianneschi NC, "Enzyme-directed assembly of a nanoparticle probe in tumor tissue.", Adv Mater, 2013, Vol. 25, Issue 26, 3599-604
- Hahn ME, Randolph LM, Adamiak L, Thompson MP, Gianneschi NC, "Polymerization of a peptide-based enzyme substrate.", Chem Commun (Camb), 2013, Vol. 49, Issue 28, 2873-5
- Kammeyer JK, Blum AP, Adamiak L, Hahn ME, Gianneschi NC, "Polymerization of Protecting-Group-Free Peptides via ROMP.", Polym Chem, 2013, Vol. 41, 3929-3933
- Rush AM, Thompson MP, Tatro ET, Gianneschi NC, "Nuclease-resistant DNA via high-density packing in polymeric micellar nanoparticle coronas.", ACS Nano, 2013, Vol. 7, Issue 2, 1379-87
- Chien MP, Thompson MP, Lin EC, Gianneschi NC, "Fluorogenic Enzyme-Responsive Micellar Nanoparticles.", Chem Sci, 2012, Vol. 3, Issue 9, 2690-2694
- Ku TH, Chien MP, Thompson MP, Sinkovits RS, Olson NH, Baker TS, Gianneschi NC, "Controlling and switching the morphology of micellar nanoparticles with enzymes.", J Am Chem Soc, 2011, Vol. 133, Issue 22, 8392-5
- Chien MP, Rush AM, Thompson MP, Gianneschi NC, "Programmable shape-shifting micelles.", Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 2010, Vol. 49, Issue 30, 5076-80
- Thompson MP, Chien MP, Ku TH, Rush AM, Gianneschi NC, "Smart lipids for programmable nanomaterials.", Nano Lett, 2010, Vol. 10, Issue 7, 2690-3