Academic Information

The following is academic information that is pertinent to all Chemistry majors and students taking Chemistry courses.  These deadlines, policies, and procedures should be kept in mind when making changes to any current or future courses.


  • The deadline to add courses is the Friday of 2nd week.
  • The deadline to add and drop labs is the end of the second lab meeting.*
  • The deadline to drop courses without a W is the Friday of 4th week.
  • The deadline to drop courses with a W is the Friday of 9th week.
  • The deadline to turn in a CHEM 99 or 199 form to the Student Affairs office is Friday of Week 1 of the quarter you wish to conduct research. 

*Please note: the deadline to add/drop LAB COURSES differs from the add/drop deadlines for all other courses! 

See the current Enrollment & Registration Calendar for specific deadline dates.


W grades

Effective Spring 2008, a student may receive a maximum of one W per course per Academic Senate Regulation 500(F)(C),  Keep in mind that if you have already received a W for a course, you may not drop that same course after 4th week the next time you take it.

D grades

D grades are considered passing and you will receive units for a course in which you receive a D.  Please note: Chemistry majors may only graduate with 1 D grade in upper division coursework.  That means if you receive more than one D in your upper division courses, you would have to repeat the D grades until you only have 1 D grade. 

Retaking classes

You can only repeat classes for which you receive a D or an F.  If you retake a class where you received higher than a D, you will not receive units for it, nor will it replace the old grade in your GPA. For information on how to repeat a class and eligability please visit Special Enrollment website.

If you wish to retake a course for the third time you must contact your college first for approval.

P/NP vs Letter Grade

The deaprtment of Chemistry and Biochemistry requires that all students take their major required courswork for a letter grade.  This includes all lower division (Math, Physics, Biology) and upper division work.  The only exception to this rule is for courses that do not offer a letter grade (CHEM 199, Freshman and Senior Seminars, etc).  The rule of thumb is: If the course is used to fulfill a major requirement you must take it for a letter grade. 

Major GPA

All Chemistry and Biochemistry majors must earn a 2.0 Major GPA to be eligable to graduate with a chemistry degree.  

Department Residency

All Chemistry and Biochemistry majors must complete 48 units of upper division chemistry coursework through our department to be eligable to graduate with a chemistry degree. 



For more information on how to request exceptions to University deadlines and policies (late add, late/retroactive withdrawal with or without a ‘W’, change of grading option, receiving course credit from a different university etc.), please visit the link here.  Please note that exceptions to the published University deadlines and policies are usually granted only in extenuating circumstances beyond your control (computer error, hospitalization, etc). Documentation is strongly recommended.  


Students wishing to add a CHEM course after the university add deadline may submit a late-add petition to the Chemistry Department.  This includes a late-add card (signed by the instructor) and a petition form to be submitted no later than Wednesday of Week 3.  Only students with extenuating circumstances should submit a petition.  Being on the waitlist for a class does not constitute an exceptional circumstance for a late-add request.  Petition approvals/disapprovals are largely based on the student’s justification for the request and whether there is space available in the class.


  • If a class you hope to add is full, get on the WebReg waitlist during your appointment time (Waitlisting is only available during second pass).
  • The wait list sequence is first-come, first-served. Be sure to enroll during your appointment time!
  • An automated computer program will move eligible students off the WebReg waitlists and into classes as seats become available. It will run nightly through the end of the second week of the quarter.
  • The program will send messages to your @ucsd email if you are added to the class via waitlist.

Further information regarding waitlists can be found here.

Internal Waitlists (For Non-Majors)

  • If a class you hope to add is for CHEM majors/ restricted majors only, please fill out the Non-Majors Waitlist Form.
  • You must check back with the department once the quarter begins to see if you can be added to the course.  If it is a lecture course, attend lecture during the first week (ex: CHEM 118).  If it is a lab course, you cannot attend due to space and saftey policies (ex: CHEM 143B).

Departmental Honors

Deadline: By Friday, Week 10 of your graduating quarter

Students may receive departmental honors if they complete the following in addition to their major requirements:

If you have completed all the items above, you qualify to apply to graduate with honors.  Please click here to apply.

Please see an undergraduate advisor for more information if you are eligible.

Concurrent Enrollment

UCSD Extension Students wishing to take a Chemistry Lecture course through main campus must complete the following steps:

UCSD Extension Students wishing to take a Chemistry Laboratory course through main campus must complete the following steps:

  • On the first day of the lab, student will go to the Lab Stockroom, York Hall, 3150 to discuss adding the lab with Suzanne Anderson.
  • Any leftover seats after week 1 will be given to wait-listed students and then Concurrent Enrollment students.
  • Students that get into a lab late must make up the lab work on their own time- or come up with an arrangement with the professor