Bioinorganic and coordination chemistry. Metalloprotein inhibitors and supramolecular materials.
Ph.D., , University of California, Berkeley
B.S/B.A, , Stanford University
Awards and Academic Honors
AAAS Roger Revelle Fellow
NSF CAREER Award
Cottrell Scholar Award
Chris and Warren Hellman Faculty Scholar Award
N.I.H. Postdoctoral Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Metalloprotein Inhibitors - Bioinorganic/Medicinal Chemistry
Several metalloproteins are implicated in various diseases, including arthritis, heart disease, cancer, and others. Compounds containing ligands that chelate the catalytic metal ion in these proteins can act as effective inhibitors of potential therapeutic value. Our investigations focus on the design, synthesis, and evaluation of novel metalloprotein inhibitors based on new ligands for binding the active site metal ions.
Metal-Organic Frameworks - Inorganic/Materials Chemistry
We study the design, preparation, and properties of metal-organic frameworks (MOFs). MOFs are a fascinating new class of advanced materials that may be useful in a variety of technological applications. We use organic chemistry to modify the surface and interior of MOFs in order to tune and optimize their physical and chemical properties.
Primary Research Area
- Arpita Agrawal, Jamie DeSoto, Jessica L. Fullagar, Kasthuraiah Maddali, Shahrzad Rostami, Douglas D. Richman, Yves Pommier, and Seth M. Cohen, "Probing Chelation Motifs in HIV Integrase Inhibitors" Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA (2012) in press.
- Min Kim, Jake A. Boissonnault, Phuong V. Dau, and Seth M. Cohen, "Metal-Organic Framework Regioisomers Based on Bifunctional Ligands" Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. (2011) 50, 1219312196.
- Jody L. Major-Jourden and Seth M. Cohen, "Hydrogen Peroxide Activated Matrix Metalloproteinase Inhibitors - A Prodrug Approach" Angew. Chem. Intl. Ed. (2010) 49, 6795-6797.
- Joseph L. Nguyen and Seth M. Cohen, "Moisture-Resistant and Superhydrophobic Metal-Organic Frameworks Obtained via Postsynthetic Modification" J. Am. Chem. Soc. (2010) 132, 4560-4561.
- Kristine K. Tanabe, Corinne Allen, and Seth M. Cohen, "Photochemical Activation of a Metal-Organic Framework to Reveal Functionality" Angew. Chem. Intl. Ed. (2010) 49, 9730-9733.