Skip to main content

The Chemistry and Biochemistry Department offers those not pursuing a major in Chemistry the option to obtain a Minor in Chemistry. We offer one minor without discipline specialties. Please see all requirements below. 

Note: For students admitted Fall 2016 or earlier, please see the FAQ page for information regarding re-numbering of Organic Chemistry courses. 

Information on the Chemistry Minor

  • You must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA to declare a minor
  • All courses must be taken for a letter grade
  • Lower division courses must be satisfied with course work.
    • Advanced placement (AP), A-Level, and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits will not be accepted toward the minor requirement
    • Community College (CC) transfer credits will also satisfy lower division coursework for the minor 
    • All lower-division requirements may overlap with major requirements.
  • All upper-division course work must be completed at UCSD.
  • A maximum of two upper-division classes (8 units) may overlap between the major and minor
    • Please note that CHEM 108 and CHEM 109 are 6 unit courses so you will not be permitted to overlap CHEM 108/109 and another course with your major 
  • All upper-division courses used toward the minor must be offered in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. 
  • Before taking upper division courses, students who wish to minor in chemistry should have their coursework approved by submitting a minor proposal via the "Major and Minor” tool at Please be advised that though students are not required to follow the courses listed on their approved chemistry minor plan; they are responsible for ensuring that no more than two upper division courses overlap between the major and chemistry minor. For more information on general university minor policy and guidelines please click here

Chemistry Minor Requirements (Effective When Declaring Fall 2018 and After)

The following courses must be taken for a letter grade:

Requirements for the Chemistry minor

  • Complete any three lower division courses in the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department
  • Complete any four upper-division courses*, including at least one laboratory course, in the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department.

*Excluding Special Studies (CHEM 196, 197, 199), Seminars, and CHEM 195.

Please note that you are allowed 2 upper-division overlaps (maximum of 8 units) between your major and minor. Not all CHEM courses are 4 units. Some courses, like CHEM 108 and 109, are 6 unit courses. If you are a Biology major and plan on overlapping these courses with your major, they count for 6 out of your 8 allowed units of overlap. If you use CHEM 108/109, you will not be able to use another 4 unit course as overlap between your major and minor. You will need to take an additional CHEM course that does not count for your major.