A degree in chemistry and biochemistry from UCSD can open the door for future success in the sciences. Our prestigious program will prepare you for any of a variety of careers, including graduate study, medical or professional school, and industry—including work in pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
UCSD consistently ranks among the top schools in the country for graduating students certified by the American Chemical Society. Our alumni are accepted to the best graduate and professional schools in the country, and have gone on to establish successful scientific careers.
We pride ourselves on providing students with the individual attention that leads to academic success. Even with over 20,000 students enrolled in our classes each year and 1,400+ undergraduate majors, we still provide opportunities for individualized study, mentoring and advising from our faculty and staff.
- American Chemical Society Student Affiliates (ACSSA)
The ACS-SA holds frequent educational, career, outreach, and social events that bring together students, faculty, and industry. In fact, the ACS named them an Outstanding Chapter for the last four years in a row. An ACS-SA website is under construction.
- UCSD Financial Aid Office
Information on scholarships and fellowships is available at the UCSD Financial Aid Office and also in the Chemistry and Biochemistry Student Affairs Office, York Hall 4010.
Prospective students apply to the campus, not to our department. The Admissions and Relations with Schools website provides Information on undergraduate admissions, transfer requirements, the six undergraduate colleges, student housing, student life, etc.
- OSD Exam Requests: For students who require exam accomodations, please click here for the steps on how to submit an exam request.
- UCSD Extension Concurrent Enrollment Waitlist: For UCSD Extension students interested in taking courses within the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, please sign up on the waitlist here.
- Non-Major Waitlist: If you are not a major in the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department and you would like to enroll in major restricted courses, please sign up on the waitlist here.
- Online Petition Requests: Students who would like to substitute a required course from UCSD or another institution, or would like to request a prerequisite waiver from the instructor should submit an online peititon request using the online petition tool. Please click here for more information.
Check out our blog, for the latest opportunities and announcements: chemblog.ucsd.edu