Undergraduate Tutors / Readers
Minimum eligibility requirements that must be met by the start of the quarter of Tutor/Reader assignment:
- A grade of A- or higher in the same or equivalent course/course sequence of Tutor assignment. If the course was taken at an institution other than UCSD, bring the transcript(s) showing the relevant chemistry courses completed (with grades) to York 4010.
- A 3.0 overall GPA at UCSD, not counting transfer work. Campus policy is very strict that only students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are allowed to teach.
- A minimum of 90 units completed or transferred into UCSD.
First time Tutors are considered Undergraduate Instructional Apprentices (UGIAs). UGIAs MUST enroll in and attend the weekly TA Training seminar for Chemistry 195 (4 units) (see Schedule of Classes ). At the seminar, they will receive a Teaching Apprentice Handbook.
- UGIAs MUST attend the full 1.5 hours of Chemistry 195 seminar each week, starting week 1 of classes.
- Attend all instructor-TA meetings.
- Attend all lectures of the course they are teaching.
- Lead discussion section(s). (See Course Descriptions and TA/Tutor Section Assignments).
- Assist with grading and proctoring.
- Hold office hours or cover Helproom (Chem 6ABC).
- Other duties as needed for a particular course, such as quizzes, preparation for sections, and lab demonstrations.
Performance Evaluations and Standards. Tutors/UGIAs are evaluated by the instructor of the course and by the students they teach. More information on performance standards is provided at the Teaching Apprentice Training Seminar affiliated with Chemistry 195.
Undergraduate students are assigned to general chemistry (Chem 6A-B-C, Chem 11-12-15) or to organic chemistry (Chemistry 140A-B-C).
Workload and Time Frame: A total workload of 110 hours over 12 weeks. Most of these hours are accrued in the 10-week quarter and finals week (see Schedule of Classes ), at an average of 10 hours/week. Depending on the needs of a specific course, instructors will inform Tutors/UGIAs of the need to work hours in the pre-quarter week.
Students tutor for credit (Chemistry 195) the first quarter, and are paid thereafter. (See Employment Information below).
- The Chem/Biochem Student Affairs Office will contact you by email if you must complete employment paperwork.
- Undergraduate students appointed on Tutor title code 2860 and Reader title code 2850 are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between UCSD and the ASE/UAW.
- The pay rate for Tutors is $15.36/hour and pay rate for the Readers is $12.82/hour.
- Tutors assigned the typical workload (see above) are paid bi-weekly for approximately 20 hours each pay period.
- Names and addresses of all ASEs are released to the UAW each quarter.
- ASE/UAW membership dues or the agency fee (for those who choose not to become ASE/UAW members) will be deducted each month from the Tutor paycheck. The amount of dues is 1.15% of gross Tutor earnings, and the agency fee is 0.92%.
Responsibilities for Satisfactory Performance. At the first instructor-TA/Tutor meeting for the course (attendance mandatory), instructors will outline the actual Tutor duties for their course. More information about responsibilities are covered during the Teaching Apprentice Training Seminar affiliated with Chemistry 195.